As college students, we dread midterms and finals week. These two weeks out of the semester are full of tests and essays that are about everything we have learned so far. Half the time the information goes in one ear and out the other and here we are having to learn the cell cycle all over again. While people have always said just get through these weeks and then everything else will fall into place, but these weeks can be an eternity. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to finish strong and engaged in your active learning brain.
Here are some easy steps:
- Study a couple of days before.
- Cramming before an exam never goes well. The information gets lost in the constant sleep denervation and 3 a.m. thoughts. By studying a couple of days before, you are able to build up the information needed to pass the test.
- Take care of your mental health.
- By focusing on the three exams and two papers you have, you forget about how finals and school as a whole are treating you. Take a break from studying and do something that will bring a smile to your face.
- Find the perfect study environment.
- By finding your perfect study spot, it will let you focus on what needs to be done. Studying in groups or alone both have their benefits but finding the environment will be the cherry on top.
- Snacks will get you through.
- Having an incentive after completing a chapter or page of a study guide will help you get through. By creating a game out of studying that ends in food will let you push through the endless chapters and pages.
- Everyone says, “get eight hours asleep” and during finals week this is especially true. Getting enough sleep will let your mind rejuvenate and get in the right headspace to nail your upcoming exams.
While not all of these tips and tricks are doable but by doing a couple throughout the week, it will end better than expected. Here is also a link on a ‘how-to’ article that goes in a different direction. This article focuses more on mental health and body health on how to survive finals week. With these helpful tips and tricks, you are able go into finals week with the perfect head and mental state.